Search
Better Farming OntarioBetter PorkBetter Farming Prairies

Better Pork Featured Articles

Better Pork magazine is published bimonthly. After each edition is published, we share featured articles online.


Proposed pork board changes hinder farm succession plans says producer

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

© Copyright AgMedia Inc

by BETTER FARMING STAFF

Tony Felder, a farrow-to-finish operator from Petrolia, confirms that he is at least the second pork producer to launch a complaint about the Farm Products Marketing Commission stripping powers from Ontario Pork.

The Felder family finishes pigs from 700 sows and also crops 1,000 acres of land. Tony Felder says family farms had no voice speaking for them at the commission hearings last summer.

He says he and other small to medium sized farms, which he says make up the bulk of the province’s producers, “depend on somebody to do the marketing.” He doesn’t see that there are family farm representatives on the commission-appointed advisory committee that is overseeing the changes in powers.

Felder has been in Canada for 10 years. He says the Ontario marketing system was a factor in settling here. “We are exposing family farms to international companies, big huge companies.” The industry “needs transparency.”

Felder says removal of Ontario Pork’s marketing powers will make family farm transfers from one generation to the next more difficult because prices may be less stable and less transparent. He says his banker “was shaking the head” (sic) about the decision the commission handed down in early October.

Felder says he sent his appeal to the Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs Appeal Tribunal  on Dec. 1. He believes his appeal is now common knowledge, but as of Dec. 16 the Tribunal still hadn’t acknowledged its receipt.

Another Lambton County producer, Rein Minnema, says he has already filed for an appeal.

Tribunal staff report to the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs’ Lorne Widmer, who confirmed more than one appeal had been received regarding the commission’s pork ruling. Widmer said: “We are required to get written consent to release names” of appellants. The letters were being sent out on Dec.22. BF
 

Current Issue

April 2025

Better Pork Magazine

Farms.com Swine News

You know you want it…

Friday, April 4, 2025

On April 28, 2025, Aumann Auctions, Inc. is set to auction what is being called the GOAT (greatest of all time) John Deere sign of all time. This recently discovered will be one of the featured highlights of the . See... Read this article online

Market Movers to Watch for the Week of April 6

Thursday, April 3, 2025

Key USDA reports, oil price shifts, and economic indicators set to shape commodity markets this week. By Aleah Harle, Farms.com Risk Management Intern . 1. The monthly USDA WASDE Report is scheduled for release on April 10th, 2025. The previous report was a “kick the can... Read this article online

Man. farmhouse finalist in Next Great Save competition

Thursday, April 3, 2025

A farmhouse in Portage la Prairie, Man., is in the running to receive financial support to help with its restoration. The Hourie House at the Fort la Reine Museum is one of 12 finalists in the 2025 Next Great Save competition. “The Hourie home is an example of an early Canadian farm... Read this article online

BF logo

It's farming. And it's better.

 

a Farms.com Company

Subscriptions

Subscriber inquiries, change of address, or USA and international orders, please email: subscriptions@betterfarming.com or call 888-248-4893 x 281.


Article Ideas & Media Releases

Have a story idea or media release? If you want coverage of an ag issue, trend, or company news, please email us.

Follow us on Social Media

 

Sign up to a Farms.com Newsletter

 

DisclaimerPrivacy Policy2025 ©AgMedia Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Back To Top