Ontario's pork producers advised to take precautions after new PED case emerges Friday, November 14, 2014 by SUSAN MANNAfter more than three months without a confirmed case of porcine epidemic diarrhea virus, another one was identified earlier this week in Middlesex County bringing the count of confirmed cases in Ontario to 64.The farrow-to-finish farm was confirmed to be positive for PED virus Nov. 12 after samples were submitted Monday when the pigs started having clinical signs of the disease. It’s the first case in Ontario since the summer when a Perth County farrow-to-finish farm was confirmed to have the virus on July 21. The virus was first confirmed in Ontario Jan. 22 on a Middlesex County farm.PED does not pose a risk for food safety, human health or other animals besides pigs. But it is a significant production disease threat for the pork industry and causes diarrhea and vomiting in pigs. Mortality in nursing pigs is almost 100 per cent while older pigs can recover.Ontario Pork says in a website notice the farmer in the Nov. 12 case and his veterinarian have developed a control and elimination plan for the farm and have notified the operation’s key service providers.The organization is encouraging all producers to review their biosecurity procedures on their farms. “The use of unwashed trucks is a significant risk for PED transmission,” the notice says.Dean Gurney, Ontario Pork’s manager of industry and member services, says, “we know that winter is when this virus is most virulent. It likes the cold weather.”He adds that with the return of cold weather “we knew that this time of year we should be on the lookout and try and stress to all the producers to make sure their biosecurity is still being practiced.”While officials don’t know how much PED virus pressure there is in Ontario now, “we’re really encouraged on how we’ve come through this summer,” he says. “There are a number of originally positive farms that are showing really good signs of having negative test results out of their farms. But we know the virus is still out there. We just need to make sure the industry isn’t complacent.”The more than three month lull in the number of positive test results doesn’t mean the virus is gone from Ontario. “It’s still out there and we still need to be practicing good biosecurity,” he says. BF Maintain PED prevention protocols advises Ontario Pork chair Tight supplies and high prices for beef and pork in Canada stimulate growth in chicken demand
CRSB Launches Certified Beef Producer Incentive Program Friday, February 20, 2026 The Canadian Roundtable for Sustainable Beef (CRSB) has announced the launch of the CRSB Certified Producer Incentive. This new program is designed to recognize and reward beef producers who have invested time and resources to become certified under CRSB standards. The main goal of this... Read this article online
Ontario beef farms honoured for pasture innovation and environmental stewardship Friday, February 20, 2026 Two Ontario beef operations earn top 2026 awards for pasture and environmental excellence. At the Beef Farmers of Ontario’s (BFO) 64th annual general meeting banquet in Toronto on February 18, 2026, two standout Ontario beef operations were recognized for their commitment to... Read this article online
New Leadership Team Named at OFVGA Friday, February 20, 2026 The Ontario Fruit & VegetableGrowersAssociation has announced a new leadership team following recent elections. Mike Chromczak has been selected as chair, and MatthiasOppenlaenderhas beenelectedvice chair. Chromczak brings more than a decade of industry involvement to the position.... Read this article online
B.C. ranch auction starts with $4.29 million opening bid Thursday, February 19, 2026 A ranch larger than the city of Prince George, B.C. and its roughly 78,000 acres is up for auction. CLHbid.com is auctioning the Jura Ranch and its 83,698 total acres (2,625 deeded + 81,073 leased) in May with a starting bid of $4.29 million. “The ranch offers rich soil that is high in... Read this article online
New scholarship supports young B.C. ag leaders Thursday, February 19, 2026 A B.C. ag organization has launched a scholarship to support the next generation of farmers and leaders. The BC Agriculture Council’s (BCAC) new BC Young Farmers Scholarship is for residents between the ages of 19 and 40 and enrolled in a post-secondary agriculture program. Statistics... Read this article online