Search
Better Farming OntarioBetter PorkBetter Farming Prairies

Better Pork Featured Articles

Better Pork magazine is published bimonthly. After each edition is published, we share featured articles online.


Feds extend sow cull compensation

Sunday, March 22, 2009

© AgMedia Inc.

by TREENA HEIN

A federal program to reduce Canada’s sow herd by 10 per cent fell short of its goal. An extension of the program’s time period now on the way should help make up the difference and put more cash into the hands of pork producers coping with the industry’s downturn, says Ontario Pork’s chair.

Originally, claims for culled breeding swine were allowed between Nov. 1, 2007 and Nov. 30, 2008. The program’s extension now allows claims for culling from Aug. 1 to October 31, 2007.

Curtiss Littlejohn, Ontario Pork’s chair, says the government has responded to requests from both provincial and federal pork producers' associations. “This program is providing much-needed help to a segment of our industry that ceased operations prior to the (program)."

"Some pork producers made tough business decisions to reduce their herds before this program started,” Federal Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz stated in a press release March 18. “We're changing the program to make sure those producers get the support they deserve."

The Canadian Pork Council managed the $50 million cull breeding swine program, launched in February 2008. The program was initially expected to reduce the country’s sow herd by 10 per cent, says Gary Stordy, a Council spokesperson, but fell short.

The original program issued compensation for 113,376 culled animals, which reduced the national herd by 7.4 per cent. A cap on the number of sows killed in each province was dropped as the program progressed. Applicants agreed to empty a breeding barn and leave it empty for three years.

In total, the Council approved 513 applications from across Canada. Correction: Of those 213 came from Ontario, representing 41,814 eligible animals or 37 per cent of the total amount processed in the program. Incorrect numbers were provided.

Ontario’s pork industry is still suffering through an extended period of downturn, and the assistance “will hopefully ease some the burden of those who have wound down their operations last year," Littlejohn says.

Producers can make claims for the extension until June 30. As in the original program, producers can receive up to $225 per animal in addition to compensation for slaughter and disposal costs.
 
Morgan Radford, the Council’s technical issues analyst, says that procedures and rules for the extension will be similar to those for the original program; however, pork farmers who participated before should be aware that the new forms and some timelines may be slightly different. Update: The new forms are not yet available. Radford says that when everything is finalized, the program will be announced nationally through the Council's website.

Stordy notes there are now 28 per cent fewer farms reporting hogs in January 2009 than in January 2006. Hog inventories have also decreased in January of this year by 10.2 per cent from January of last year, and a full 18 per cent from January 2006. BF
 

Current Issue

June 2026

Better Pork Magazine

Farms.com Swine News

CASA Hosts Global Farm Safety Summit

Thursday, May 21, 2026

The Canadian Agricultural Safety Association is set toco-hostthe Safety and Health in Agricultural and Rural Populations international symposium in Saskatoon from June 16 to 18 2026. The event will bring together experts from across the world to discuss ways to improve health and safety in... Read this article online

Agro 100 Launches Pür Organic Biostimulants that are Drone Friendly ag news, farm news, organic farming, biostimulants, Agro 100, crop health, plant stress, drone spraying, sustainable agriculture, soil health

Thursday, May 21, 2026

Agro100 has introduced a new line of organicbiostimulantsunder thePürbrand as part of its plan for future growth. The launch comes as the company approaches its 35th anniversary and aims to strengthen its role in the agriculture sector across key global markets. One of the unique features... Read this article online

Tara Sawyer named new Alberta ag minister

Thursday, May 21, 2026

An Alberta farmer is the province’s new minister of agriculture and irrigation. Premier Danielle Smith appointed Tara Saywer, the MLA for Olds-Didsbury-Three Hills, a wheat and barley farmer from Acme, Alta., and the inaugural chair of Alberta Grains, as the new ag minister in a May 21... Read this article online

BF logo

It's farming. And it's better.

 

a Farms.com Company

Subscriptions

Subscriber inquiries, change of address, or USA and international orders, please email: subscriptions@betterfarming.com or call 888-248-4893 x 281.


Article Ideas & Media Releases

Have a story idea or media release? If you want coverage of an ag issue, trend, or company news, please email us.

Follow us on Social Media

 

Sign up to a Farms.com Newsletter

 

DisclaimerPrivacy Policy2026 ©AgMedia Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Back To Top