Programs alleviate farm risk Sunday, November 7, 2010 by SUSAN MANNOntario’s horticultural industry leaders have developed a risk management program to help growers offset unexpected costs increases and they’re now planning to lobby governments to fund it. It’s the fourth risk management proposal produced by a provincial commodity group since several groups began working together under the umbrella of the Ontario Agricultural Sustainability Coalition earlier this year. Grain and oilseed growers, hog and cattle producers have all developed proposals for programs and submitted them to the provincial government. The province’s sheep and veal producer organizations have yet to announce finalized plans.In July, the provincial government backed the grain and oilseed growers’ proposal by extending its share of funding for a pilot program for one more year. To date, no other group’s proposal has received a financial commitment from either the provincial or federal governments. Mark Wales, chair the safety net section for the Ontario Fruit and Vegetable Growers Association, says the horticultural program, called modified self-directed risk management, is much-needed, particularly since growers have been hit with several recent massive cost increases including labour, energy, fertilizer and fuel. They can’t recover these costs from the market place.“We need a safety net program that works for everyone and meets the needs of all the different commodities within horticulture,” Wales says. “This is the one that best suits the range of types of producers that we have.”All edible horticultural producers are eligible. Farmer contributions will be based on matching five per cent allowable net sales of eligible horticultural crops minus the seed costs. Wales says it’s the same calculation that’s used for a farmers’ contributions to their Agri-Invest account. Farmers will be able to contribute annually and the proposal calls for matching contributions from both the federal and provincial governments as well as permitting program accounts to collect interest.Farmers would be able to withdraw money from their accounts in years of poor crop results, sudden changes in cost inputs or price declines due to a glut of imports flooding the market. In a year when a farmer triggers a withdrawal, the proposal is for unlimited annual withdrawals up to a farmer’s account balance.The association’s board endorsed the proposal in October. The next step is to present it to the provincial agriculture minister. Wales says they don’t know yet what the proposed program would cost governments.Wales says farmers understand the self-directed risk management concept because Ontario used to have this type of program from the late 1990s to 2007. But governments just stopped funding it.Susan Murray, agriculture ministry spokesperson, says it wasn’t about the provincial government starting or stopping funding for the self-directed risk management program but “what happened in 2007 was the programs changed.” Programs like Agri-Stability and Agri-Invest replaced the Canadian Agricultural Income Stabilization program.Bette Jean Crews, president of the Ontario Federation of Agriculture, says when provincial Agriculture Minister Carol Mitchell extended the grains and oilseeds risk management program this summer it confirmed her intention to implement these programs one at a time and offered “a little glimmer of hope that she might do something just provincially but that's going to be a tough lobby."Some people think farm leaders should ask for companion program funding to come entirely from the province, Crews says. But if that happens “never again will the federal government fund companion programs for provinces.”Asked if the province could afford to foot the risk management programs 100 per cent, Crews says that’s not the point. “It’s about priorities. If agriculture is going to be the solution to the economy then there’s your number one priority.” BF Cattle emission confusion Cover Story: Combatting the Menace of Glyphosate-Resistant Weeds
OFA Fights for Farmer Rights during Tariff War Monday, March 31, 2025 The agricultural sector in Ontario trades billions of dollars annually with the U.S. In 2023, this amounted to $32.8 billion, it also included a trade deficit of nearly $2 billion. The impact of tariffs and trade barriers on this trade is significant, as they disrupt supply chains, reduce... Read this article online
Designed by Farmers, For Famers: The Better Way to Fence Friday, March 28, 2025 BY: Zahra Sadiq Tired of expensive traditional fence posts that fail to secure your property? Electrical fence posts offer a cost-effective, reliable solution for farmers looking to boost security without breaking the bank. PlusPost offers electric fence posts made from 99% recycled... Read this article online
Lynmark Farms named Master Breeder for 2025 Wednesday, March 26, 2025 The Canadian Milking Shorthorn Society has announced that Lynmark Farms has been named as a herd for 2025. Lynmark Farms is owned and operated by Tim Shearer and Irene Vietinghoff of Norwood, Ontario. They are the third Milking Shorthorn herd to be recognized as a since this... Read this article online
Ontario Mega Farm Faces Market Chill Wednesday, March 26, 2025 A large working farm in Ontario, one of the province’s biggest on the market, is facing difficulties finding a buyer. Listed at $72.1 million, the 2,300-acre property is located near Lake Erie in Elgin County, spanning both Malahide Township and Central Elgin. Despite its prime agricultural... Read this article online
Nutrien Ag Solutions launches its 2025 Hometown Yield Challenge Monday, March 24, 2025 Nutrien Ag Solutions has launched its second year of the , and is again available to growers in Alberta, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan. Nutrien Ag Solutions is the retail division of Nutrien Ltd., a leading global provider of crop inputs and services. Enrollment is open until April 11,... Read this article online