Prince Edward County revises fire station plans Tuesday, September 16, 2014 by JOE CALLAHANPrince Edward County might be seeing a reduction in the number of fire stations it currently has, but its council has opted not to proceed with a controversial proposal that would have closed a fire station that served a rural area and established another on prime agricultural land.Over the summer, county council has approved a 10 fire station plan for the future of fire fighting in the county, a reduction from the upper tier municipality’s current holdings of 12 stations.The plan will see the construction of a new fire station in Consecon to replace one currently in the village itself and to replace another in nearby Hillier. County council approved the construction of the Consecon station at its August 26 meeting at a cost of $1,285, 500.00 plus HST. Fire Chief Scott Manlow estimates that the new four-bay station will be ready by mid-February 2015.In July, county council authorized staff to proceed with a site evaluation, design and tender for the construction of a new eight-bay fire station (four double bays) on McDonald Drive in Picton’s industrial park. This fire station will replace one at Picton Heights and the one on Ross Street. Council also authorized the integration of a four-bay Picton ambulance base at the new site.The ten-station plan replaces a nine-station plan that would have seen the closure of a rural fire station on Mallory Road and the nine-station plan included consideration for the construction of a fire station at the traffic circle on the west side of Picton on prime agricultural land. As reported by Better Farming last year, the closure of small rural stations and the idea of using prime agricultural land for a new station met with strong resistance from some farmers, including long-time farmer and volunteer fire fighter, Don Williams. But Williams is satisfied with the new plan.“A lot of stuff has happened like we suggested at the start,” said Williams. “It’s (the current plan) about as close to perfect for the way we want it as possible.”Estimates for the construction of the new station in the industrial park should be available for council’s consideration by mid-2015 said Manlow, and plans are for the new facility to be in place by September 2016. BF Oat and barley growers to vote on joining Grain Farmers of Ontario Tribunal reaccredits francophone general farm group
Twin Flywheel Tech Boosts Wood Chipper Performance Globally Friday, November 28, 2025 A large majority of farms have woodland on their property, so tools to manage woodlands are essential. Woodland Mills, which manufactures forestry equipment, has reported strong customer adoption nearly one year after expanding its patented Twin Flywheel Technology into four... Read this article online
Grain Farmers of Ontario invests in future leaders with 2025 Legacy Scholarships Thursday, November 27, 2025 Grain Farmers of Ontario (GFO), the province’s largest commodity organization representing 28,000 barley, corn, oat, soybean, and wheat farmers, has announced the nine recipients of its . Each student will receive $5,000 to support their studies at accredited post-secondary... Read this article online
Kubota BX23S - Your Farm’s MVP Thursday, November 27, 2025 The Kubota BX23S stands out as a powerful and efficient compact tractor designed to meet the needs of farmers. As part of Kubota’s trusted BX Series, this model serves as a dedicated tractor loader backhoe, offering superior strength and versatility for a wide range of... Read this article online
Drew Spoelstra acclaimed for third term as OFA president Thursday, November 27, 2025 Drew Spoelstra of Binbrook will serve a third consecutive one-year term as president of the Ontario Federation of Agriculture (OFA). The association represents 38,000 farm families across the province. Spoelstra was acclaimed during OFA’s annual general meeting (held under the theme:... Read this article online
Minto Council Backs Bill 21 -- A Bold Step to Protect Ontario’s Farmland Thursday, November 27, 2025 The Town of Minto Council has officially thrown its support behind Bill 21: Protect Our Food Act, a proposed piece of legislation designed to safeguard Ontario’s agricultural lands from being lost to development. During a council meeting on November 18, Deputy Mayor Jean Anderson... Read this article online