Ontario's sugar beet growers count on GE crop Thursday, March 24, 2011 by SUSAN MANNOntario’s sugar beet growers will plant their genetically engineered crop this spring despite the continued uncertainty surrounding a court case to rescind American government approval of the technology.Genetically engineered sugar beets were approved by American and Canadian authorities for commercial planting and have been in use since 2008. But on Aug. 13, 2008 a California court rescinded the Untied States Department of Agriculture (USDA) approval of Roundup Ready beets, created by Monsanto, until the department prepares an environmental impact statement. That’s slated to be done in 2012. Earlier this year the USDA ruled farmers could resume growing the sugar beets, which have been altered to withstand applications of the glyphosate herbicide, Roundup.Glenn Jack, president of the Ontario Sugar Beet Growers’ Association, says the California case was moved to Washington and that’s where it should be heard. “Feelings in Washington are more supportive of genetically modified crops than what they are in California.”Jack says Ontario growers still don’t have their seeds yet but they won’t need them for at least a week. Planting won’t begin any sooner than a week. “We’re going to have to have some awful nice weather to even get planting in a week.”If approval of the technology is rescinded, Jack says there’s concern the USDA could order the entire crop that’s been planted to be destroyed. But he doesn’t think that will happen “because they’d run out of sugar in the states if they did that.”In addition, there has been an encouraging sign from the court, which has already ruled farmers can plant the crop to produce seeds for 2012. Jack says “we’re expecting a favourable judgment.” Asked if growers are worried, Jack says “we’re farmers. We have to worry about the weather, we have to worry about the markets. This is just another thing to occupy your mind.”Jack says he doesn’t know when the court will release its decision but he hopes it’s by April 1. This year Ontario growers will be planting 9,500 acres of sugar beets. BF Megaquarry opposition grows Purina case awaits decision
Twin Flywheel Tech Boosts Wood Chipper Performance Globally Friday, November 28, 2025 A large majority of farms have woodland on their property, so tools to manage woodlands are essential. Woodland Mills, which manufactures forestry equipment, has reported strong customer adoption nearly one year after expanding its patented Twin Flywheel Technology into four... Read this article online
Grain Farmers of Ontario invests in future leaders with 2025 Legacy Scholarships Thursday, November 27, 2025 Grain Farmers of Ontario (GFO), the province’s largest commodity organization representing 28,000 barley, corn, oat, soybean, and wheat farmers, has announced the nine recipients of its . Each student will receive $5,000 to support their studies at accredited post-secondary... Read this article online
Kubota BX23S - Your Farm’s MVP Thursday, November 27, 2025 The Kubota BX23S stands out as a powerful and efficient compact tractor designed to meet the needs of farmers. As part of Kubota’s trusted BX Series, this model serves as a dedicated tractor loader backhoe, offering superior strength and versatility for a wide range of... Read this article online
Drew Spoelstra acclaimed for third term as OFA president Thursday, November 27, 2025 Drew Spoelstra of Binbrook will serve a third consecutive one-year term as president of the Ontario Federation of Agriculture (OFA). The association represents 38,000 farm families across the province. Spoelstra was acclaimed during OFA’s annual general meeting (held under the theme:... Read this article online
Minto Council Backs Bill 21 -- A Bold Step to Protect Ontario’s Farmland Thursday, November 27, 2025 The Town of Minto Council has officially thrown its support behind Bill 21: Protect Our Food Act, a proposed piece of legislation designed to safeguard Ontario’s agricultural lands from being lost to development. During a council meeting on November 18, Deputy Mayor Jean Anderson... Read this article online