Dombrowsky parries call for compensation for excluded farmers Sunday, April 12, 2009 © AgMedia Inc.by BETTER FARMING STAFFOxford MPP Ernie Hardeman says he’s disappointed with the provincial agriculture minister’s response to a petition to compensate farmers who failed to qualify for a 2007 emergency assistance program.“It doesn’t tell us anything more than we already knew,” the Progressive Conservative critic for agriculture and food says.Hardeman calls the minister’s response “disheartening” for the 100 emerging and expanding farmers who did not receive money from the $130 million program intended to aid those in the cattle, hog and horticulture sectors.Signers of the petition, mostly hog producers, say they fell through the cracks because the province, in order to speed the program’s delivery, calculated payments based on 2000-2004 information already filed with federal and provincial cost of production programs.In February, Hardeman tabled a petition at Queen’s Park calling for compensation “thereby, preventing beginning farmers from exiting the agriculture sector.”Dombrowsky responded to the petition, on a deadline, last week.An appeal process was in place for the federal cost of production program on which the provincial program’s payments were based, and farmers beginning in 2005 or 2006 “could have made a separate application for the federal cost of production payment,” she wrote.If they’re enrolled in the current federal AgriStability program, producers in financial difficulty can also apply for interim payments under that program “if they have completed six months of their tax year.”Hardeman says for producers “to be left right out in the cold like this, it is just unacceptable.”He asserts Dombrowsky’s description of the program’s motivation differs from the details given in the province’s original announcement.In the response, Dombrowsky states the program responded to “a long standing need reported by producers in the cattle, hogs and horticulture industries that had been most affected by low prices, high costs and declining margins.”The ministry’s Dec. 14, 2007 news release states funding will go directly to farmers “to help them deal with the immediate challenges presented by current economic conditions and the long-term impacts of BSE (bovine spongiform encephalopathy).”Hardeman says he will continue presenting petition signatures to the provincial legislature. He did not know how many he had received but noted they are coming from across the province. BF Turkey producers swallow quota cut Agricorp changes spring wheat production insurance terms
Woolwich Farmland Fight - Petition Urges Council to Protect Prime Ontario Agricultural Land Monday, August 17, 2026 A proposal to redesignate 107acres of agricultural land in Woolwich Township for employment and industrial development is drawing increasing opposition from residents and farmland advocates who say the project would come at the expense of valuable farmland and the region's agricultural... Read this article online
Gay Lea Expands Dairy Plant for Protein Demand Monday, August 17, 2026 Gay Lea Foods has announced an investment of more than $200 million to expand its dairy manufacturing facility in Toronto, Ontario. The project is designed to increase production capacity and help meet the rising demand for high-protein dairy products, including cottage cheese. The... Read this article online
2026 Great Ontario Yield Tour Early Reports Show Strong Corn and Soybean Potential Monday, August 17, 2026 Ontario's annual Great Ontario Yield Tour is underway, and early reports are painting a generally optimistic picture for the province's 2026 corn and soybean crop. However, Great Ontario Yield Tour scouts have also highlighted regional challenges. The 11th Annual Great Ontario Yield... Read this article online
How Busch turned bales into advertising dollars for farmers Wednesday, August 12, 2026 Busch is taking a different approach to advertising in rural Canada by moving marketing dollars from city billboards directly into farmers’ fields. The brand’s new “Baleboard” campaign transforms hay bales into oversized six-pack displays inspired by Busch’s limited-edition Farmer’s Pack.... Read this article online
Niagara farm groups seek support following flood damage Wednesday, August 12, 2026 Three of Niagara's leading agricultural organizations are urging governments to provide targeted support to growers following a series of severe rainfall events that have caused widespread flooding across the region. According to a joint statement from Flowers Canada, Grape Growers... Read this article online