Search
Better Farming OntarioBetter PorkBetter Farming Prairies

Better Farming Ontario Featured Articles

Better Farming Ontario magazine is published 11 times per year. After each edition is published, we share featured articles online.


Cattlemen anticipated change at embattled XL Foods plant

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

by SUSAN MANN

The news of a change in management of the Alberta beef processing plant involved in Canada’s largest beef recall isn’t unexpected, says Canadian Cattlemen’s Association president Martin Unrau.

“We’ve known for the last month or so there may have to be some type of management or directional change” with the XL Foods Inc. plant in Brooks Alberta, he says. On Wednesday, JBS USA, an animal protein processor in the United States and Australia, announced it was taking over management of the plant. It’s a subsidiary of JBS S.A, based in Brazil.

Unrau, who farms near MacGregor, Manitoba, says the change is positive in the short term but removing XL Foods does take one bidder out of the North American market. The Canadian Cattlemen’s hasn’t yet studied the change’s long-term implications.

The XL Foods plant ceased processing any new incoming cattle when its operating license was temporarily suspended by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency Sept. 27. The Agency took the action after the company failed to implement required corrective actions in connection with E. coli 0157:H7. In addition to the license suspension, there has been an ongoing recall of a wide range of beef products since Sept. 16 and the American border has been closed to products from the plant since Sept. 13. Products from XL Foods have sickened 15 people from four provinces. None of the cases is in Ontario.

As of Oct. 11, the CFIA has allowed the plant to process the 5,100 carcasses remaining in the facility so inspectors could observe the plant’s food safety controls in action. The meat from the processing isn’t allowed to leave the plant. That processing is now finished and CFIA says in a statement Thursday it’s reviewing its observations and analyzing results from product testing done by both the agency and the company. The agency will prepare a report and recommend next steps before the beginning of next week.

The plant won’t resume normal operations until CFIA confirms in writing it’s safe to do so, the agency’s statement says.

Workers from the plant were laid off on the weekend but some were recalled earlier this week to do the processing test run.

Once the plant is operational again, Canada’s beef producers want the government to review how the beef recall and plant closure was handled.
 
Federal Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz said in the House of Commons Monday a review would be conducted and the report will be public. The review will be handled by the CFIA and the expert advisory committee set up in response to recommendations by Shelia Weatherill in her report into the 2008 listeria crisis.

Unrau says he’s not sure if that committee is the right one to do the review but “I think there has to be a review of how this was handled, every aspect of it actually.”

The review should cover how “this started, and as cattle producers we want to know why it took so long to get to the bottom if it, and to address the issue and move on,” he says. But the review should not be done until the situation is resolved “when cooler heads prevail and you take the emotion out of it.”

Beef producers have cattle backing up and the plant closure “has played into the normal flow of feeder cattle so there’s been some difficulties around it,” Unrau says. The difficulties include the cost of feeding cattle that should be moving to market and uncertainty with producers being unable to make necessary management decisions. “The worst part of this whole thing is the uncertainty.”

For feedlot operators, they’re not sure if they should bring in cattle, what size and type, and how they should feed them, he explains. This is also the time of year when a lot of cow-calf producers are trying to move their calves. BF


 

Current Issue

August 2026

Better Farming Magazine

Farms.com Breaking News

Gay Lea Expands Dairy Plant for Protein Demand

Monday, August 17, 2026

Gay Lea Foods has announced an investment of more than $200 million to expand its dairy manufacturing facility in Toronto, Ontario. The project is designed to increase production capacity and help meet the rising demand for high-protein dairy products, including cottage cheese. The... Read this article online

How Busch turned bales into advertising dollars for farmers

Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Busch is taking a different approach to advertising in rural Canada by moving marketing dollars from city billboards directly into farmers’ fields. The brand’s new “Baleboard” campaign transforms hay bales into oversized six-pack displays inspired by Busch’s limited-edition Farmer’s Pack.... Read this article online

Niagara farm groups seek support following flood damage

Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Three of Niagara's leading agricultural organizations are urging governments to provide targeted support to growers following a series of severe rainfall events that have caused widespread flooding across the region. According to a joint statement from Flowers Canada, Grape Growers... Read this article online

BF logo

It's farming. And it's better.

 

a Farms.com Company

Subscriptions

Subscriber inquiries, change of address, or USA and international orders, please email: subscriptions@betterfarming.com or call 888-248-4893 x 281.


Article Ideas & Media Releases

Have a story idea or media release? If you want coverage of an ag issue, trend, or company news, please email us.

Follow us on Social Media

 

Sign up to a Farms.com Newsletter

 

DisclaimerPrivacy Policy2026 ©AgMedia Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Back To Top